Benefits of Energy Efficient Lighting: CFL and LED
Did you know that the electricity used by an incandescent bulb costs 5 to 10 times more than the original price of the light bulb? According to the US government Energy Star program, on an average 25 percent of the total home energy bill is wasted on electric lighting. The program also states that using energy efficient lighting – Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) and Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) – can reduce energy bills by 75 percent! This article will provide an insight into the benefits of energy efficient lighting.
Top Benefits of Using Energy Efficient Lighting: CFL and LED
CFLs are fluorescent lamps that use electronic ballast and phosphor formulations to improve the light emitted and save energy, whereas LEDs are semiconductor light bulbs that are highly efficient in saving energy. The following are the benefits of energy efficient lighting:
Advantages of Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)
- Efficient: They are four times more efficient than any incandescent bulb since they use 50-80 percent less energy and last 10 times longer. A 22 Watt CFL offers the same light quality of a 100 Watt incandescent bulb.
- Cheap: Although it is more expensive than a normal incandescent bulb, it proves to be cheaper as it utilizes 1/3rd of the electricity required to run an incandescent bulb. For example, an 18 Watt CFL saves 570kwh more energy if used instead of a 75 Watt incandescent bulb, hence saving a $45.
- Reduce Pollution: It is estimated that if each home in the US make use of CFLs, 90 power plants can retire. This reduces the emission of CO2, SO, and nuclear waste and hence air and water pollution is also reduced.
- Versatile: CFLs are very versatile and can be used anywhere, such as table lamps, ceiling fixtures, and porch lights. 3-way CFLs are used for 3-way settings and dimmable CFLs are used as a dimmer switch.
Advantages of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
- Efficient: LEDs consumes 1/3rd electricity used by CFLs and 1/30th of energy consumed by normal fluorescent light bulbs, thus becoming the latest and most reliable source of energy efficient lighting.
- Long Lasting: LEDs have a very long life and can lasts 10 times more than CFLs! LED flash lights has a 15 times stronger lifeline than a normal light bulb.
- Durable: They are very durable and cannot be damaged as they do not contain any filament. They are solid and are resistant to bumping.
- Cool: LEDs do not build up heat. Normal light bulbs tend to give out heat. However, LEDs prevent heat build-up, thus reducing air conditioning costs.
If you are looking for various sources of energy efficient lighting, you can visit www.lampsusa.com. The service inventory of Lamps USA includes chandeliers, pendants, mini pendants 1-light, ceiling mount, and wall sconces.